Friday, November 17, 2006

State of the FAQ – November 17, 2006

Here’s an update on events here at MBAFAQ. After listening to a few of Al Franken’s books on CD, I always wanted to make it sound like I was reporting from some important news desk in a studio somewhere, even though I’m reporting from a web page… Well, back to business. While the daily entries on MBAFAQ are generally textbook quality, I’ll try to take a day each week to write something chatty about how things are going and what is on my mind. I’m sure that these stream of consciousness entries in the FAQ will convince you that I can write poorly when necessary. ;-)

We’ve been live for one week and it has been exciting so far! There already have been over 85 visitors and over 200 page views in just one week! That is a tiny amount of traffic for an established website but huge interest for a new website. There has also been several new advertisers join, including University of San Francisco, John F. Kennedy University, St. Joseph’s College of Maine, Cornell University and Gallup University / University of Nebraska – Lincoln. Those are just a few of the advertisers. Be sure to visit these links of interest and our other fine advertisers.

Of course, you’ll probably say, “Hey, why advertising? Doesn’t that ruin the website?” Well, there is a very good reason for advertising; it helps to defray the cost of library fines and gasoline to travel to various libraries. I keep asking the librarian at UC Santa Cruz whether there is a lifetime achievement award for the largest cumulative amount of library fines paid. Of course, she just looks at me as if I’d said something almost funny.

As I mentioned in the About Me section, the goal of MBAFAQ is provide high quality articles on a daily basis that will eventually serve as a substantial resource archive for MBA alumni, newly-minted MBAs, MBAs in training, and those who have different formal training but who could benefit from some of the meat from business school.

You’re probably wondering were I get all this material. Well, I have over 300 semester hours of college training, of which 170 hours is at the graduate level. I’ve taught undergraduate and graduate students for the last several years, and they always teach me something new about the subject. In addition, I’m a speed reader, so I read quite a lot.

Please be sure to comment on threads of interest and I’ll moderate and respond to those comments.

If you are traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday, please have a safe trip and check in back here when you can. I’ll be here everyday, I hope. We are flying to Branson, Missouri and then driving to Southern Illinois for the holidays.

Talk to you soon!

Best wishes,

Dave

No comments: